The potato gateau, also called gattò or potato pizza, is a dish that lends itself very well as a single dish, it is also the ideal meal for those who dine away from home for work or other reasons. In general, potatoes abound at home, indeed very often we forget them in the pantry and we remember them when they have sprouted. (Do not throw them away, you can use them for growing potatoes, for the procedure just read here). The potato gateau it is excellent to eat both freshly baked and as a cold dish and can also be prepared the day before, as it keeps very well even for a couple of days. In the southern regions, especially in Campania, it is a very popular recipe that is also enriched with many tasty ingredients. But let's see in detail how to make potato gateau following our recipe step by step.
Potato gateau, the ingredients
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 250 grams of cooked ham
- 3 organic eggs
- 250 grams of fresh provola
- 150 grams of leerdammer
- 200 ml of milk
- 25 grams of butter
- Salt to taste.
- Bread crumbs
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Potato gateau, the preparation
- Peel the potatoes then put them to boil in unsalted water: the larger the chosen potatoes, the easier it will be to peel them)
- Meanwhile, cut the provola, cheese and raw ham into cubes
- As soon as the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the water and let them cool
- After a few minutes, peel them and mash them with a potato masher
- Put the mashed potatoes in a very large bowl, then add the ingredients that we previously cut into cubes.
- Mix everything until all the ingredients are combined
- Once this is done, pour the eggs and milk into the mixture then continue to turn salt finally
- When the dough becomes homogeneous, grease a baking sheet and pour the mixture into it
- Level the mixture well inside the pan then cover only the top with a layer of grated Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° for about 30-35 minutes: adjust by checking the cooking from time to time
- When the breadcrumbs are golden and toasted you can turn off the oven, the potato gateau it's ready
Warning: wait a while before serving the potato gateau to prevent it from crumbling when the temperature is too hot.