Kitchen leftovers can become the main ingredients of different dishes. Just as mushroom stems can give life to a splendid cream, with the stale bread it is possible to prepare bruschetta, Neapolitan freselle, breadcrumbs and canederli. Today we will see how to recycle stale bread to prepare excellent dumplings for roasting.
How to recycle stale bread
If the bruschetta recipe is well known, the one of the dumplings. For recycle stale bread, the preparation of dumplings is particularly suitable: it does not matter if the bread is in chunks, slices, already cut or if it is sandwiches ... the result will be a new roll of "bread" to be roasted (or browned) and consumed with a wide variety of toppings and cremine: artichoke cream, mushroom cream, pesto… The procedure is quite long because it requires rest times of one hour and cooking time of 30 minutes.
For recycle stale bread and use it for the preparation of dumplings you need to add these ingredients, for 5 stale sandwiches you will need:
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 200 ml of milk
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 eggs
- black pepper
- Grated nutmeg
For prepare the dumplings with stale bread in addition to the classic kitchen utensils, you will also need a cotton cloth free of dyes and twine. Here's how to proceed:
1) Heat the milk. Cut the bread into cubes and soak it in milk.
2) Peel the onion and cut it finely by adding the olive oil. Mix the bread with the eggs and onion. Season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
3) Cover and let the mixture rest for an hour.
4) With the bread dough, form two rolls and place them in a cloth tying the two ends firmly.
5) In a saucepan large enough to hold the rolls, bring some water to a boil and let the rolls cook for about 30 minutes.
6) When cooked, remove the dumplings from the water and remove the cloth. Let the dumplings cool and then cut them into discs about 2 cm thick.
THE dumplings they must be browned in a pan with a little butter, or, alternatively, they can be roasted in a non-stick pan. To serve, place the dumplings on a plate and dress them with peppered mushroom sauce and garnished with coarsely chopped fresh parsley.