Not everyone knows that Italy holds the world record in the production of artichokes. In the global context, Italy grows 40 percent of this vegetable. The areas of greatest production are Sicily, with the Piana di Gela and the Piana di Catania, Sardinia and Puglia. THE artichokes they are rich in minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and calcium and among the vitamins the presence of B1 and B3 prevails. THE artichokes they are a seasonal vegetable, to be able to eat artichokes locally produced all year round, these can be stored in the freezer or in oil, i artichokes in oil they are very simple to prepare and make a great appetizer! Let's see together how to prepare artichokes in oil.
Artichokes in oil, the ingredients
- 24 artichokes
- the juice of 4 lemons
- 1 liter of white wine vinegar
- 1 liter of white wine
- a handful of peppercorns
- olive oil as required
- a few bay leaves
Artichokes in oil, the preparation
- Clean i artichokes eliminating the hardest leaves. Remove the tips and cut them into equal wedges. It is important to try to keep the same size to optimize the space available in the cans.
- Dip the artichokes in the lemon juice.
- In a saucepan pour the vinegar and white wine, add the pepper and bay leaves. When the liquid comes to a boil, lower the artichokes by draining them when they are still al dente: artichokes they must not become soft but must be just blanched.
- Let dry i artichokes on a tarp, in a well-ventilated area. If necessary, change the cloth several times until the artichokes have drained all the liquid.
- Arrange the artichokes in an airtight jar, cover it with oil and don't hang! Place the jar in a cool, moisture-free place, keep it for a few days, constantly checking the level ofoil bringing it to level every time. When the oil has stabilized it will be possible to close the jar. THE artichokes they can be consumed from the month following the date of preparation.