Stuffed peppers of meat, peppers stuffed with rice and variations to satisfy even those on the hunt for vegan recipes.
THE peppers they come with bright and cheerful colors that enliven the preparations in which they are used. Peppers are very versatile in cooking, they are used in appetizers as well as in first courses, to prepare main courses and side dishes. In the version filled, peppers become an excellent single dish. Here how to make stuffed peppers following the classic recipe and our variants.
Empty the peppers to make stuffed
To clean i stuffed peppers to do, the core and a small part of the surrounding vegetable must be carefully removed. Before proceeding to remove the core, wash the vegetable thoroughly.
At this stage you should use a kitchen knife specific for vegetables and greens, itparing knife. The paring knife is a pointed knife with a particular curve, it is very useful for cutting all kinds of vegetables. Those who are less agile with their hands can use a special "core lever" tool like the one shown in the photo below.
This kitchen utensil is useful for those who love to prepare stuffed peppers, but if it is a one-off recipe, the paring knife is far more suitable!
The tool in question can be purchased in hotel and restaurant supply stores, or by taking advantage of online sales. On Amazon, the tool made of stainless steel and dishwasher safe, can be bought at a price of 12.95 euros with free shipping.
- Core remover Profi Plus in stainless steel
- Professional paring knife with two-year warranty
Once the core is removed, be sure to remove all the seeds by shaking each individual pepper. Avoid washing the pepper internally.
If you don't want to buy any knives and don't have a lot of cooking skills, you can cut the pepper into two equal parts. Stuffed pepper cut in half is not suitable for cooking with tomato puree and, when prepared in the oven, the filling must be protected with aluminum foil.
Choose the peppers to make stuffed
At the time of purchase, choose i peppers with firm skin, preferably grown organically.
Since they are delicate vegetables with a rather short shelf life, they should be eaten within three to four days of harvest.
If you have some space on the balcony or in the garden, don't rule out the idea of starting a small crop: just a few plants are enough to obtain abundant harvests. For DIY cultivation, we invite you to read the guide:grow peppers.
Rice-stuffed Peppers, vegetarian recipe
Here are the ingredients for 4 people:
- 4 large red peppers
- 300 grams of short grain rice suitable for rice salad
- 100 grams of provolone
- 2 carrots
- Raisins and pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 50 grams of grated Parmesan cheese
Rice Stuffed Peppers Vegetarian Recipe, Procedure
- Grease the inside of each well cleaned and emptied pepper with oil.
- Clean the carrots, cut them into thin julienne strips, also cut the onions.
- Sauté with carrots and onions, after two minutes, add the peas.
- Finally, add a handful of raisins and a handful of pine nuts.
- Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing of peppers, cheeses, raw and sautéed rice.
- Correct with salt and stir.
- Add 4 tablespoons of bechamel.
- Mix well to mix everything.
- Fill each pepper with the rice mixture.
Stuffed peppers in the oven or in tomato sauce
For cooking, you can choose between:
Cooking stuffed peppers in the oven
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for 30 minutes, covering the peppers with a sheet of baking paper. In this case, you may want to lightly sear the rice before using it as a filling.
Cooking stuffed peppers with sauce
Cook the stuffed peppers in the tomato sauce, in this way, the pepper will flavor the sauce and, at the same time, the puree will flavor the filling.
Place the sauce in a saucepan and before turning on the stove, add the peppers making sure they are completely immersed in the sauce. Add a glass of water at the start of cooking. Sauce, peppers and meat filling will cook at the same time.
If you decide to cook them with sauce, we advise you to omit the bechamel.
Stuffed peppers with meat
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 4 medium peppers
- 300 g of ground beef
- Half a red onion
- A clove of garlic
- A sprig of parsley
- A dozen pitted black olives from Gaeta
- A dozen salted capers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 50 gr of breadcrumbs
Also in this case, for the procedure, we start with a sauté (parsley, olives and red onion) and the meat is used raw. Procedure and cooking are identical to the recipe seen above.
Peppers stuffed with rice and meat
Rice and meat, in peppers, can coexist! They blend together thanks to the grated cheese that acts as a glue. For every 4 peppers, you can use 150 grams of rice and 150 grams of ground beef.
The meat should be used raw, both if you want to cook stuffed peppers in the oven, and if you want to make them with tomato sauce.
Peppers stuffed with potatoes and smoked cheese
Ingredients for 3 people:
- 3 peppers
- 500 g of new potatoes
- 250 gr of dry white scamorza cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- basil, a few leaves
- breadcrumbs as required
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
THEpotato-stuffed peppersthey are very tasty and have a very distinctive flavor. The delicacy of the potatoes creates a tasty contrast to the stronger flavor of the pepper. Here's how to do itpotato-stuffed peppers.
- Clean and cut the peppers as seen before.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes, even without peeling them! Sauté the potatoes in a pan with a drizzle of oil. Salt and add half a glass of water. Place the lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes and add them to the potatoes.
- Chop the smoked cheese with a few basil leaves.
- Mix smoked cheese, tomatoes and potatoes. Add the freshly ground pepper.
- Grease the inside of each pepper.
- Fill the peppers with the potatoes.
- For cooking, bake at 200 ° C for 15 minutes.