Today we will seehow to build a composterby setting up a compost bin. Thecompostis a type of organic fertilizer of natural origin and, during the practice ofcomposting, to avoid the onset of bad smells, it is necessary to use acomposterwell ventilated, perhaps equipped with a lid and bottom.
Forbuild a composterwe will need a hacksaw for the wood, a screwdriver to fix the hinges of the lid, a hammer and a brush to pass an impregnation to make the wood resistant to atmospheric agents.
Forbuild a composterfrom the garden we will need four wooden feet (approximate measurements 8x8x4 cm), 9 wooden boards with a thickness of 2 cm and the approximate measurements of 10 × 82 cm, 2 wooden uprights with square section (80 × 80 mm with a height of 89 cm), 2 square section wooden uprights but this time the height will be 77 cm while the section remains unchanged at 80 × 80 mm. The four uprights will form the corners of thecomposter, the heights are different because the A-pillars will have to be slightly shorter.
You will also need: 20 boards to be cut diagonally with a thickness of 2 cm and a length of 86 cm and a height of 22 cm. Two wooden boards 10 × 65, 12 wooden spacers 2x2x4 cm. Four 2 × 2 strips with a height of 77 cm or two U-profiles. 10 wooden boards again 10 × 86 cm and 2 cm thick. 2 hinges for the lid, screws to fix the boards to the uprights and the primer.
The measurements refer to theconstruction of a wooden composterrather large, the height of thecomposterit is mainly given by the uprights. Let's see how to continue with theconstruction:
1) Fasten the four feet with screws to two 10x82cm boards. Fasten the other seven boards of the same size across the two boards. Again, use screws. The boards must be spaced about 2 centimeters apart to allow any liquids to flow out and above all to ensure good ventilation.
2) The sides of the boxcomposterthey must be fixed with the 10 × 86 cm boards to the uprights, to ensure a good anchoring, fixed the boards with two screws. Also in this case, the distance between the boards must be two centimeters to allow air circulation. Each side of thecomposterit will have an 89 cm rear upright and a 77 cm front one.
3) At the bottom of the corners of the bin / composter, attach two pre-assembled panels. Then fix the two 2 × 2 cm strips on the uprights of the opening side. Leave a space of 2 or 3 cm for the sliding of the closing axes: this strategy will allow you to fully open the front of thecomposter.
4) Now you just have to finish preparing the opening boards to build the lid. Screw the other 10x86cm boards crosswise onto two boards and secure the lid with the two hinges.
5) Finally, treat all surfaces (both internal and external) with wood stain for exteriors.
Ready-to-use composter: prices and models
If the proceedings of the composter do-it-yourselfit seems too cumbersome, you can buy somecomposters"Bell" ready for use. The prices of the composters are not too prohibitive, moreover, the purchase of a composter is recommended for those who have a small garden or will use the composter at home.
On the market there are a large number of models with a capacity ranging from 80 to 900 liters.
To guide your choice, ask yourself how muchDIY compostyou want to produce and how many organic waste you have available.
For a family of 4 who intend to prepare compost only with kitchen waste, one will sufficecomposterfrom 300 liters. If, in addition to kitchen waste, you also add those from the garden, you will have to opt for acomposterof at least 400 liters, or, if you have enough space, it will be better to buy two 200-liter composters that are easier to manage and less prone to producing bad smells.