Homemade Tofu: basic recipe and advice onpreparation of tofu. Recipe without nigari, what is nigari and why it is not needed to make tofu.
Tofu, what is it
The tofu is a protein-rich cheese made from soy milk. It is highly appreciated by those who follow a vegan lifestyle precisely because it does not contain ingredients of animal origin.
Tofu is a very versatile product: it can be spread, sautéed or fried; the flavored tofuit is enriched with sauces and spices added directly in the phase Preparation.
The tofuit can be a good alternative to eggs in the preparation of various sweet and savory recipes.
The tofu by now it can be found in any supermarket, however, it can also be prepared at home with extreme simplicity and without the need for ingredients like nigari.
There basic tofu recipeit's super simple fromprepare.In make tofu at home you will also save a lot of pennies, since it is a finished product that is not cheap at all. Here is the recipe for Homemade Tofu.
Homemade Tofu recipe without nigari
Thererecipethat we propose provides simple and easy to find ingredients, so we have excluded the nigari. This is not an adaptation but a return to the origin! To understand this, let's see immediately what is nigari.
The nigari is none other than that magnesium chloride and serves to curdle the soya milk for the preparation of tofu. In our basic recipe we'll see how to make tofu at home starting directly from soy.Magnesium chloride can be added to have a more consistent tofu but it is not necessary, you can achieve the desired consistency by lengthening the cooking times.
Who wants thenigari, you will simply have to go to the pharmacy and ask for magnesium chloride powder. 4 grams ofnigari(or magnesium chloride) for every liter of soy milk used. As stated, in our recipe we start directly from yellow soy.
Basically we will make soy milk at home and transform it into its infamous cheese, tofu. It's about abasic tofu recipewhich does not involve the use of nigari or aromatic herbs. To get a flavored tofu, towards the end of preparation, feel free to add your favorite spices and herbs.
Homemade Tofu, the ingredients
- 1 kilo of yellow soy
- 3 cups of hot water
- 1 glass of lemon juice
Where to buy soy? Everywhere! Also on Amazon, where six packs of 400 grams of Italian organic yellow soybeans are offered at a price of 14.14 euros with free shipping costs.
Whichever product you buy, be sure to choose oneorganic yellow soy, preferably of Italian cultivation.
Homemade Tofu, the preparation
- Pour the yellow soybeans into a bowl with water and leave them to soak for at least a whole day.
This step is necessary and will be used to soften the soy.
- Once this is done, drain the soy beans and crush them in a mortar, if you prefer you can use the mixer!
- Transfer the cream obtained to a pan with hot water and cook.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, add a cup of cold water.
- Bring back to the boil again then add another cup of cold water again.
- Leave on the heat for another five to six minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a saucepan and add the lemon juice.
- Put the container on low heat and let it thicken.
- When the mixture has a compact yet soft consistency, drain well with a colander and place in a container with a colander underneath. The ideal would be to use a muslin cloth, which is also perfect for preparing ricotta at home.
- Place a lid with a weight such as a plate on top for about an hour, in order to make the tofu more compact and drain the excess water.
Yours is ready Homemade Tofu! If you like preparing wholesome foods to eat at home, take a look at the soy milk recipe and consult my guide on homemade soy milk.
How to store homemade tofu
Thus prepared, the Homemade Tofu it can be kept in the fridge, suspended in salted water, for about 4-5 days. To take up less space, you canpreserve homemade tofuwrapped in a clean, damp kitchen towel.