Radish property: theradishcommon, known in the scientific field as Raphanus sativusand in common parlance likered radish or radish, is a very common annual herbaceous plant in our country. Folk medicine associates numerousbeneficial propertiesto theradish and scientific research has been able to highlight thepropertyof the metabolites present in the plant.
We Italians, delradish, we mainly consume the root, however it is also possible to eat the young raw leaves, adding them to fresh salads or appetizers. In the East, in addition to leaves and roots, seeds are also consumed from which an oil with a pungent flavor is obtained.
The radish leaves, as well as for the preparation of salads, are suitable for being steamed or boiled. The root can be used for the preparation of omelettes or boiled meats. In the form of a decoction or infusion, theradishit has therapeutic properties against coughs, lung diseases, asthma and bronchitis.
Thehealing propertiesrecognized by folk medicine are numerous:
- antiscorbutic function, thanks to the rich mix of vitamins radish, the root would be able to fight scurvy.
- Anthelmintic function, it would be able to counteract various types of worms or helminths, which can infest the body as parasites.
- Antibacterial function, thanks to the substances contained in the root and leaves, the radish would be able to block the generation of bacteria.
- Antispasmodic function, the radish it would be able to relieve muscle spasms and relax the nervous system.
- Astringent function, it would be able to limit the secretion of liquids.
- Stimulating function, it would be able to invigorate and activate the vascular nervous system. In particular, the roots of radish, would be able to stimulate appetite and digestion.
Radish, a natural remedy for anxiety
Sure a feast ofradishescannot be compared to a dose, albeit pediatric, of any benzodiazepine, yet there are those who count among the beneficial properties of theradisheven the anti-anxiety one. The radish would act as natural anxiolytic thanks to its micronutrients and thanks to the aforementioned antispasmodic function which by relaxing the central nervous system would alleviate anxiety.
Radish Nutritional properties
Radish counteracts water retention: 95.6 percent of the weight is due to the high presence of water. Theradishit contains a modest quantity of B vitamins, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and mineral salts. The quantity of mineral salts depends on the cultivation soil: since it is a root, the richer the soil, the higher the quantity of mineral salts.
Radish seeds contain sinalbin and mixed with water they would be able to stimulate intestinal transit with a slightly laxative effect.
The caloric content of radish is very poor, we are talking about 11 kcal per 100 grams of product.