Continuous improvement in vehicle performance helps us save gasoline (intended as fuel). But that's not enough. First because our car may not be the newest (the fleet in Italy is quite old) and second because the condition of the vehicle and the driving style also matter a lot. But let's go in order.
How to save petrol: performance
This item is of interest if we are planning to buy a car that, among other things, we would like to consume little. With the same engine, there are vehicles that consume more and others less, this is quite obvious, but the situation is leveling off as European rules come into force.
Regulation EC 443/2009 defines the levels of performance in terms of emissions from new cars and identifies a Community target for CO2 emissions from (new) light lanes sold annually in the Community. This target is 130 g CO2 / km referring to the average of all new cars marketed in 2012, and must be achieved through technological improvements made to the engines. Another 10g / km must be achieved through complementary technical measures such as tires, fuels and more.
The obligations for manufacturers have been applied to 65% of the fleets marketed since January 2012, to 75% since January 2013 and apply to 80% since January 2014. Starting from 2015 they will apply to 100% of the fleets. In addition, a long-term target of 95 g of CO2 / km has been introduced to be achieved in 2020.
The European regulation sets limit values for the specific CO2 emissions of cars as a direct function of their mass (weight). This approach provides that as the vehicle weight increases, the limit value to be respected also increases. Therefore, to maintain the average, the lightest passenger cars will have to respect limit values below 130 g / km while for the heavier ones the limit values will be much higher.
How to save gasoline: the condition of the vehicle
By observing some simple rules on the condition of the vehicle and on the driving style (see later) we can also save 10-15% of petrol. And being safer behind the wheel, which is no small feat. Here are the rules that you should never fail to respect.
- Ensure vehicle maintenance by carrying out the checks and adjustments required by the manufacturer. In particular, change the oil at the right time and dispose of it correctly.
- Periodically check the inflation pressure (this must be done when the tires are cold) at least once a month and before long journeys. Too low operating pressures increase fuel consumption and decrease tire wear.
- Varying the size of the tires can alter the original performance.
- Winter tires should only be used in seasons when the climatic conditions there
- make it necessary because they increase the consumption of gasoline.
- The vehicle must never be overloaded because the weight and the set-up strongly influence the consumption and stability of the vehicle (keep in mind that it is forbidden to exceed the maximum total mass of the vehicle indicated in the vehicle registration document).
- Remove the roof racks or ski racks after use. They are accessories that worsen aerodynamics (such as spoilers and deflectors) by increasing fuel consumption.
- Do not travel with the windows open. To warm the passenger compartment immediately after departure, the lowered window is preferable to the air conditioning. Above 80Km / h, however, the action of the wind consumes more than the climate.
- Only use the heated rear window, the additional headlamps, the wipers, the heating system fan for the time necessary. They are energy-intensive devices that increase fuel consumption.
How to save petrol: driving
Smart driving combined with proper car maintenance allow you to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by the 10-15% we mentioned above. Here's how you should drive, frankly it's not very difficult.
- Avoid accelerating sharply; always use the accelerator gradually
- Shift into higher gear as soon as possible
- Don't overdo the speed and keep it as even as possible
- Gradually decelerate by releasing the accelerator with the gear engaged
- Stop the engine as soon as possible with the vehicle stationary
- Limit the use of air conditioning and prefer the windows down to cool the passenger compartment immediately after departure.
You may also be interested in: How to save at home