Muesli are a mixture of cereal flakes, dried fruit and oilseeds, which allow you to have a healthy, energetic breakfast, rich in fiber, easily digestible and, at the same time, tasty and greedy: raisins are also often added and sugar to sweeten everything.
Unfortunately, on the market you will find any type of variant which, in addition to being expensive, can also hide ingredients that are not really healthy and dietary such as unidentified vegetable oils, sugar in excessive quantities, salt, various emulsifiers, flavors, etc. That is why the idea of making muesli at home should not be underestimated, also following your own culinary preferences.
To do this, the absolute protagonist is certainly oats, a cereal very rich in nutrients, which has a lower carbohydrate content (63%), a high protein content (up to 17%) and a higher fat content ( 7%) with very important nutritional qualities, compared to other types of cereals. Let's see in detail how to make muesli at home following our recipe
How to make muesli at home, the ingredients for 300 grams of muesli
- 200 grams of natural oats
- 10 grams of sunflower seeds
- 40 grams of almonds: alternatively walnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts are fine
- 20 grams of raisins
- 15 grams of dehydrated apple: or dried apricots, red fruits or plums
- 30 grams of agave syrup
- 1 and a half tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
- 1 pinch of salt
How to make muesli at home, the preparation
- Soak the dehydrated fruit in warm water and then keep the water
- Coarsely chop the dried fruit and pieces, the rehydrated fruit then mix everything
- Then add the sunflower seeds, agave syrup and the pinch of salt
- Separately, mix the essential oil of bitter orange with extra virgin olive oil and then add them to the fruit and seeds. Mix and add the oats only at the end, wetting everything again with a couple of tablespoons of initial soaking water, some fruit
- Spread the muesli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes at 150 °, stirring occasionally.
Your muesli is ready to be enjoyed for breakfast; 40 g per serving is recommended, adding milk or yogurt and fresh fruit as desired. For storage, an airtight container is sufficient.
As we have already mentioned, oats are a cereal that contains many nutritional and beneficial properties. For further information, we recommend reading the article "How to take oats"