Not everyone likes stale bread; whether white, wholemeal or baguette, at the end it is always thrown away to eat the fresh bread of the day.
Did you know that stale bread lends itself to many very tasty recipes? In this regard we will show you some interesting alternatives for the kitchen that will surely be useful to you.
How to use stale bread
Breadcrumbs always prove useful in the kitchen. It is enough just to blend the bread of the previous days. Cut it into slices and grind it until you get a good amount.
Make sure the bread is really hard; this way, it will be easier to grind it more finely. Before using it for your breading it is preferable to wait two days so that it is drier and crunchy.
Bread pancakes are an excellent solution for when one or two loaves of stale bread remain. Below is the recipe to prepare them.
- A loaf of hard bread
- 250 ml of milk
- An egg
- 40 grams of sugar
- 20 grams of cinnamon
- 40 grams of sunflower oil
- After cutting the bread into slices, soak it in milk mixed with cinnamon
- Pass them in the beaten egg on both sides
- At this point, fry the slices of bread in a pan with a drop of hot sunflower oil
- Finally sprinkle some sugar on top and serve still hot
Croutons are ideal for accompanying soups and veloutés, but also for making special toppings; let's see the recipe
- Half a loaf of hard bread
- Olive oil
- Aromatic herbs such as thyme or oregano
- Take the bread and cut it into thick slices and then into squares
- Once this is done, fry them with oil: if you prefer, you can add some spice or medicinal plant such as thyme or oregano
- When the croutons are golden brown, you can remove them from the heat
- Use absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
Just have imagination and we can prepare original canapes for your lunches or special occasions without having to spend money on classic slices of toast. Here's how to proceed:
- Cut the stale bread into thin slices
- At this point, toast them for a few minutes in the oven with a little oil, pepper and oregano.
- Once golden and crunchy, you can add the dressing on top
As you well know, these are very simple recipes. The only recommendation is to use stale bread that is no more than 3 or 5 days old; after this time, make sure there is no mold.
And speaking of bread; do you know that it is very easy to prepare it at home? In this regard, we refer you to reading the article "How to make bread at home".